Working with Liberty

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions 

  • How often will I receive requests for assignments?

    • As an independent contractor, you are not guaranteed any number of hours or requests due to normal fluctuations in the demand for interpreters. The work is entirely on an as-needed basis.

  • Can I work with other interpreting agencies?

    • Liberty encourages all its independent contractors to work with other language service agencies to increase their chances of receiving more work as a freelance interpreter. 

  • How long does it take to onboard and become a Liberty interpreter? 

    • The process can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a few months depending on if the applicant already has training and how fast the applicant can complete the rest of our credentialing requirements. ​The steps in the onboarding process are as follows: 

      • Phone Interview

      • Hourly Pay Rate Approval 

      • Oral Language Proficiency Testing 

      • Enrollment and Completion of 40-Hour Medical Interpreter Training 

      • Submission of Immunizations and HR/Onboarding Forms 

      • Background Check and Drug Test 

      • Liberty Basics Training / Contractor Handbook Review 

      • Issuance of ID Badge and Login for Liberty's Scheduling System 

Credentialing & Immunizations 

  • Does Liberty Language Services require background checks and drug testing?

    • Yes, all employees and independent contractors must submit to background checks and drug testing. These assessments are completed at no cost to the employee or independent contractor.

  • What medical documents do I need to submit to be an on-site medical interpreter?

    • We will need documentation of:

      • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) - two doses or proof of immunity

      • Hepatitis B - three doses, proof of immunity, or signed declination form

      • TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) after the age of 19

      • Varicella (chicken pox) - two doses or proof of immunity

      • TB (tuberculosis) - blood test results are valid for one year and chest x-rays are valid for five years

      • Annual flu shot during flu season (September through April)

    • Note: You can expedite your onboarding process by having all your immunization records ready to submit BEFORE applying to work with Liberty. 

  • How do I obtain my vaccination documentation?

    • You can obtain your vaccination documentation from any U.S. public school that you have attended.

    • If you didn’t attend public school in the United States, you can obtain documentation from your local health department, minute clinics (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens), immigration medical exam forms, or your primary physician.

    • You may also complete and submit the results for a titer test.

    • Independent contractors are responsible for the costs incurred during the collection of these documents and vaccinations.


Medical Interpreter Training Requirement

  • Why does Liberty require a 40-hour medical interpreter training certificate?

    • Simply being bilingual does not qualify someone to be an interpreter. The 40-hour medical interpreter certificate requirement seeks to ensure that every Liberty interpreter is prepared to handle the ethical, procedural, and legal responsibilities of medical interpretation. Additionally, a 40-hour medical interpreter certificate is the main pre-requisite to apply to become a nationally certified medical interpreter through either NBCMI or CCHI. Therefore, this training course is becoming the industry standard for credentialing medical interpreters in the United States.

  • Does Liberty cover for the cost of training for applicants? 

    • Since Liberty hires independent contractors, ​​it is the applicant's responsibility to cover the cost of their own training. However, for specific languages, we do offer financial assistance to help applicants cover the tuition cost of their medical interpreter training through Liberty's Education Center. 

  • How do I know if I'm eligible for financial assistance for training? 

    • You can read about the eligibility criteria for financial assistance by CLICKING HERE​​

  • What training programs does Liberty offer and what will I learn in the training?

    • Liberty offers two training course options for medical interpretation: Bridging the Gap and The Professional Medical Interpreter. Both courses include an overview of the roles of the interpreter, modes of interpretation, code of ethics, standards of practice, and medical terminology. For those interested in legal interpretation in non-courtroom settings, Liberty also offers the Language of Justice training course.  

  • What is the difference between Bridging the Gap (BTG) and The Professional Medical Interpreter (PMI)?

    • Bridging the Gap (BTG) is taught in-person over 5 class sessions. If you prefer a traditional classroom setting and a more interactive learning experience, then this course is for you. You can visit our BTG page for a schedule of upcoming sessions. 

    • The Professional Medical Interpreter covers the same topics as BTG, but instead, it offers students the convenience of a self-paced, online experience. The entire course is completed from a computer and there are no designated start dates. Students will have one month to complete the course. For more info, visit the PMI page.

  • I would like to take Liberty's training course to become a professional medical interpreter. How do I get started?

    • If you are interested in enrolling for a medical interpreter training course at Liberty, please fill out our Contact FormYou will then be contacted by the Education Department with more information about the enrollment process. 

The Beat is our professional development newsletter. Keep current with the interpreting and translating fields.
With each issue you can expect:
  • Exciting Opportunities
  • Amazing Stories
  • Useful Resources
  • Conferences and Workshops