Frequently Asked Questions


For trained interpreters applying to work with Liberty...

  • How often will I receive requests for assignments?

    • As an independent contractor, you are not guaranteed any number of hours or requests due to normal fluctuations in the demand for interpreters.

  • Can I work with other interpreting agencies?

    • Liberty encourages all independent contractors to work with other language access agencies to properly supplement their income.

  • How does the recruiting and onboarding process work? 

    • All new applications are reviewed by our Recruiting Department (Recruiting@LibertyLanguageServices.com). If we currently have a need for your spoken language in your area, you will be contacted by one of our recruiters for a phone interview. Once you have been established an hourly pay rate and you have submitted your interpreter training credentials, your application will be sent to the Contractor Processing Department (Contractors@LibertyLanguageServices.com). The Contractors Dept. will handle your entire onboarding process: they collect your HR documents & immunizations, issue your background check, drug test & interpreter ID badge, and lastly, they set you up in the Scheduling System so you can start receiving assignments. 

  • Does Liberty Language Services require background checks and drug testing?

    • Yes, all employees and independent contractors must submit to background checks and drug testing. These assessments are completed at no cost to the employee or independent contractor.

  • What medical documents do I need to submit to be an on-site medical interpreter?

    • We will need documentation of:

      • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) - two doses or proof of immunity

      • Hepatitis B - three doses, proof of immunity, or signed declination form

      • TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) after the age of 19

      • Varicella (chicken pox) - two doses or proof of immunity

      • TB (tuberculosis) - blood test results are valid for one year and chest x-rays are valid for five years

      • Annual flu shot during flu season (September through April)

    • Note: You can expedite your onboarding process by having all your immunization records ready to submit BEFORE applying to work with Liberty. 

  • How do I obtain my vaccination documentation?

    • You can obtain your vaccination documentation from any U.S. public school that you have attended.

    • If you didn’t attend public school in the United States, you can obtain documentation from your local health department, minute clinics (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens), immigration medical exam forms, or your primary physician.

    • You may also complete and submit the results for a titer test.

    • Independent contractors are responsible for the costs incurred during the collection of these documents and vaccinations.

  • How do I submit my documentation?

    • You can send us your electronic copies of your on-boarding documents via email (contractors@libertylanguageservices.com) or via fax (703-997-0869).

For applicants who currently do not meet our training requirements...

  •  I would like to take the training course to become an interpreter. How do I get started?

    • If you are interested in enrolling for a medical interpreter training course at Liberty, please fill out our Contact FormYou will then be contacted by the Education Department with more information about the enrollment process. 

  • What training programs does Liberty offer and what will I learn in the training?

    • Liberty offers two training courses on medical interpretation: Bridging the Gap and Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition. Both courses include an overview of the roles of the interpreter, modes of interpretation, ethics and standards of practice, and medical terminology. The purpose of these courses is to prepare you for a career in the field of professional interpretation in medical and community settings. For those interested in legal interpretation in non-courtroom settings, Liberty also offers the Language of Justice training course.  

  • What is the difference between Bridging the Gap (BTG) and Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition (OIT)? 

    • Bridging the Gap (BTG), created by the Cross Cultural Health Care Program, is the industry standard for medical interpreter training courses.  Upon completing BTG, students are presented with a 40-hour training certificate, making them eligible to work as trained medical interpreters with any language service agency in the United States. Our Director of Education  leads hundreds of students through this course every year in our classroom in Vienna, VA. You can visit our BTG page for a schedule of upcoming sessions. 

    • Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition (OIT) is an online course that also prepares students for work in the field of medical interpretation. While OIT covers the same topics as BTG, it also offers students the convenience of a self-paced, online experience. There are no designated start dates. Students will have one month access to complete the course. For more info, visit our OIT page.

  • How do I pay for the training courses?

    • ​We are currently sending electronic invoices for students to pay for their training course. All new students must fill out the New Student Enrollment Form (complete with their contact info and preferred course). Then, students should email the Education Department at education@libertylanguageservices.com​​​​ to request their electronic invoice. Make sure to specify if you will be paying for tuition in one full payment or in 3 monthly installments. 

The Beat is our professional development newsletter. Keep current with the interpreting and translating fields.
With each issue you can expect:
  • Exciting Opportunities
  • Amazing Stories
  • Useful Resources
  • Conferences and Workshops

Liberty Language Services

1600 Spring Hill Road, Suite 210

Vienna, VA 22182

T: 888-746-9108

F: 703-890-2358

© 2020 Liberty Language Services LLC