Frequently Asked Questions


Being an Interpreter

  • How often will I receive requests for assignments?

    • As an independent contractor, you are not guaranteed any number of hours or requests due to normal fluctuations in the demand for interpreters.

  • Can I work with other interpreting agencies?

    • Liberty encourages all independent contractors to work with other language access agencies to properly supplement their income.

Becoming an Interpreter

  •  I would like to take the training course to become an interpreter. How do I get started?

    • On the contact of our website, click Interpreter Opportunities to fill out an application with our agency. You will then be contacted by the Education Department about enrolling in one of Liberty’s interpreter training courses. 

  • What will I learn in the training?

    • Liberty offers two training courses on medical interpretation: Bridging the Gap and Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition. Both courses include an overview of the roles of the interpreter, modes of interpretation, ethics and standards of practice, and medical terminology. The purpose of these courses is to prepare you for a career in the field of professional interpretation in medical and communal settings. For those interested in legal interpretation in non-courtroom settings, Liberty also offers the Language of Justice training course.  

  • What is the difference between Bridging the Gap (BTG) and Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition (OIT)? 

    • Bridging the Gap (BTG), created by the Cross Cultural Health Care Program, is the industry standard for medical interpreter training courses.  Upon completing BTG, students are presented with a 40-hour training certificate, making them eligible to work as trained medical interpreters with any language service agency in the United States. Our Education Director leads hundreds of students through this course every year in our classroom in Vienna, VA. You can visit the BTG calendar for the in-classroom course schedule. 

    • Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition (OIT) is an online course that also prepares students for work in the field of medical interpretation. While OIT covers the same topics as BTG, it also offers students the convenience of an online experience. To directly enroll in OIT, visit the Training page and click Online Interpreter Training: Medical Edition.  

  • How do I pay for the training courses?

    • You can submit course payments on the Shop page. If you need assistance or have questions about the payment plans, please email the Education Department at education@libertylanguageservices.com

  • What medical documents do I need to submit to be an on-site medical interpreter?

    • We will need documentation of:

      • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) - two doses or proof of immunity

      • Hepatitis B - three doses, proof of immunity, or signed declination form

      • TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) after the age of 19

      • Varicella (chicken pox) - two doses or proof of immunity

      • TB (tuberculosis) - skin/blood tests are valid for one year and chest x-rays are valid for five years

      • Annual flu shot during flu season (September through April)

  • How do I obtain my vaccination documentation?

    • You can obtain your vaccination documentation from any U.S. public school that you have attended.

    • If you didn’t attend public school in the United States, you can obtain documentation from your local health department, minute clinics (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens), immigration medical exam forms, or your primary physician.

    • You may also complete and submit the results for a titer test.

    • Independent contractors are responsible for the costs incurred during the collection of these documents and vaccinations.

  • Does Liberty Language Services require background checks and drug testing?

    • Yes, all employees and independent contractors must submit to background checks and drug testing. These assessments are completed at no cost to the employee or independent contractor.

  • How do I submit my documentation?

    • You can send us your information via email (contractors@libertylanguageservices.com) or fax (703-997-0869).

The Beat is our professional development newsletter. Keep current with the interpreting and translating fields.
With each issue you can expect:
  • Exciting Opportunities
  • Amazing Stories
  • Useful Resources
  • Conferences and Workshops

Liberty Language Services

1600 Spring Hill Road, Suite 210

Vienna, VA 22182

T: 888-746-9108

F: 703-890-2358

© 2020 Liberty Language Services LLC